What Is Sleep Apnea?
General Dentist and Cosmetic Dental Services in Edmonton, Alberta
Posted: June 2, 2010
Sleep apnea is a disruption of your breathing while you are asleep. It is a deceiving sleep disorder, as approximately 90 percent of the people who suffer from sleep apnea are not aware that they have it.
At Focus on Smiles of Edmonton, Alberta, we understand how frustrating and scary sleep apnea can be. We are dedicated to providing you with a treatment option that best meets your needs, affording you a peaceful night’s rest.
Some indications that you or your partner may be suffering from sleep apnea include:
- Loud, persistent snoring
- Interruptions to your breathing while asleep
- The inability to stay sleeping
- Choking or gasping during sleep to get air into the lungs
- Sudden awakenings to restart breathing or waking up in a sweat
- Headaches in the morning
- Persistent daytime drowsiness
When you stop breathing during your sleep, the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood is upset, which signals to your brain to restart the breathing process. Your brain causes you to wake up so that your tongue and throat muscles can increase the size of your airway passage. This allows the carbon dioxide to escape, and oxygen to enter. These waking episodes are mandatory to restart the breathing process and save your life.
Self-Help Treatment Options
- Mild cases of sleep apnea may be responsive to self-help remedies, such as:
- Losing weight
- Elevating the head of your bed four to six inches
- Ceasing the use alcohol, tobacco, and any sedatives or relaxants
- Maintaining regular sleep hours
- Sleeping on your side
- Using breathe right strips or saline nasal spray to help open your nasal passages
If you suffer from sleep apnea and you live in Edmonton, Alberta, please contact knowledgeable Edmonton cosmetic dentist Dr. Christine Fialka-Eshenko today to schedule your consultation.