Porcelain Veneers Questions
General Dentist and Cosmetic Dental Services in Edmonton, Alberta
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are custom designed, thin porcelain laminates that are bonded to the surface of your teeth. Due to their ability to revolutionize a smile in a mere two visits and without invasive orthodontics, they have been given the nickname “instant orthodontics”.
What problems can Porcelain Veneers treat?
Each set of dental veneers is created to uniquely treat a patient’s individual cosmetic needs. Common cosmetic problems porcelain veneers can fix include:
- Unevenly shaped teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Cracked or chipped teeth
- Greatly discoloured teeth that traditional tooth whitening procedures are unable to fix
Are Porcelain Veneers a better solution than Tooth Whitening procedures?
Since porcelain veneers are a ceramic shell bonded to your teeth, they serve as a shield against substances that can gnaw at your enamel, such as nicotine, red wine, tea, acidic foods and chocolate.
Additional benefits of porcelain veneers over tooth whitening procedures include:
- The ceramic material veneers are comprised of is translucent, thus reflecting and absorbing light naturally
- Porcelain veneers provide greater longevity
- Veneers address cosmetic problems besides whitening your smile
- Each veneers is custom designed to compliment your existing cosmetics, such as hair colour, eye colour and skin tone
What is entailed in the Porcelain Veneers procedure?
Having porcelain veneers created and applied to your teeth takes a mere two visits. During your first visit, we will prepare your teeth by shaving off a minimal amount of tooth enamel. An impression of your teeth will be taken and a temporary veneer provided as protection. Our highly skilled dental laboratory technician will fabricate your veneers
Once your custom veneers are finished, you return to have them glued to your teeth and leave with a dazzling new smile.
How do you care for your Porcelain Veneers?
Maintaining good, oral hygiene practices is vital in achieving the greatest longevity for your porcelain veneers. Additional measures you should take to ensure the lifespan of your veneers include:
- Avoid clenching and grinding your teeth. If this is a sub-conscious habit, we can provide you with a protective guard to wear while sleeping.
- Avoid exposing your porcelain veneers to excessive forces, such as nail biting, pen chewing, ice munching, and more
If you live in the Edmonton, Alberta area and are interested in a personal consultation with Dr. Christine Fialka-Eshenko to determine if porcelain veneers are the best option to achieve your cosmetic desires, please contact us today.