How Does Invisalign Work?
General Dentist and Cosmetic Dental Services in Edmonton, Alberta
Posted: March 23, 2015
Once you and your Alberta cosmetic dentist have decided that Invisalign® is right for you, you will begin the process of straightening your teeth using customized aligners. For most people, treatment takes about one year. Invisalign® is a five step process.
1. Consultation: During your consultation, we will discuss your case in detail to decide if Invisalign® is right for your particular needs. This is a good time to discuss costs, and to address any questions you may have about the process. You may be surprised to discover that many insurance providers do cover Invisalign®.
2. Develop Treatment Plan: Your cosmetic dentist will take x-rays of your teeth, along with pictures and impressions. Invisalign® will use all of this information to develop a 3-D computer model of your teeth which will form the basis of your treatment plan. Treatment can be anywhere from 4 months to 4 years, but most people get the results they want in about one year.
3. Start Using Your Customized Aligners: You will receive a set of clear, BPA-free, plastic aligners made specifically for you based on the computer model of your teeth. Wear your aligners throughout the day and while you sleep—ideally 20-22 hours per day. You can remove them for normal brushing and flossing as well as eating.
4. Get Regular Check-Ups and Your Next Set of Aligners: Every two weeks or so you will get the next set of aligners designed to work your teeth through your treatment plan. You will have regular visits to our Alberta office about every six weeks. Continue wearing your aligners as much as possible, and keep your dental hygiene habits up.
5. Enjoy the Results and Keep Your New Smile Looking Great: Once your treatment is complete, you may need retainers to keep your progress.
If you are interested in finding out if Invisalign® treatment is right for you, please call Focus on Smiles at 780-800-3005 or contact us online for a consultation.