How Do I Keep My Teeth White?
General Dentist and Cosmetic Dental Services in Edmonton, Alberta
Posted: January 21, 2016
Having a bright, beautiful smile really lights up a room. No one wants to have to hide their smile because they’re ashamed of their discolored teeth.
So here are some tips to help you keep your pearly whites just that.
- Good oral hygiene – brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash daily is the best way to keep your teeth healthy. Using a whitening toothpaste and mouthwash can help restore your mouth’s shine.
- See your dentist every six months for a checkup and professional cleaning.
- Keep your teeth white longer by avoiding stain-causing substances like coffee, red wine, tobacco, and sodas. Also, avoid sugary items like candy and sports drinks.
- If you do consume one of those stain causers then brush your teeth immediately afterwards. If you cannot brush, then rinse your mouth with mouthwash. And you’re unable to do either, rinse your mouth out with water.
- Eat foods that increase saliva like pears, apples, celery, and carrots. Also chewing sugarless gum increases saliva without subjecting your mouth to unnecessary sugars. A healthy diet will help you to avoid common cosmetic dentistry problems.
- The use of a whitening toothpaste and mouthwash to remove stains, but over-the-counter whitening treatments like kits and strips are generally more effective.
- Although OTC teeth whitening treatments are effective, they can’t replace professional whitening treatments.
Of course, the best way to keep your teeth healthy and beautiful is to visit our dentist for regular appointments. The standard is one cleaning every six months.
If you live in or around the Alberta area and need to schedule a whitening or other procedure, please contact Focus on Smiles today at 780-800-3005.